Saturday, July 3, 2010

Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius

The comments on this book caused me a reflect back on Kacie's situation.

When she turned 14, I began to see a tendency in Kacie to be drawn to the "nasty" side of life. Depressing and undesirable people and situations seemed to fascinate her. I tried everything to turn her around by exposing her to the finer things in life like great inspiring books, nice people and just an all round high standard of living. These things had no appeal so I decided that new surroundings would be the answer. We brought her to our island paradise and gave her the opportunity to get a college education here, not work, and go to the beach every day. The big city, Savannah, is only 30 minutes away. At nineteen she left and returned to the things that I knew would destroy her. On the same day that she left, I turned her room into a virtual museum of her life because I had no doubt that her life would be short and painful. It amazed me that she was able to last another 5 years.

In another year or so when I fell less pain, I will obtain Kacie's medical records and do a complete investigation of her cause of death. Any individual(s) that contributed to her death will be legally dealt with. I have an attorney that will guide me through the process.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Gary,
I think you had more of a positive influence on Kacie then you think. The things that she most cherished were all things you had exposed her to... Oldies, the beatles, great literature, all things nautical, ocean city, boats, and being a great storyteller. I think she just had an ecelectic taste of all things and some of them are harder to understand being from a different generation. Being her age, she wanted to go out into the world and find her own way and explore. I know she knew how much you loved and cared for her and only wanted the best.

Gary New said...

Natalie,

Thanks.