Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Elephant in the Room

When we lost Kacie, a support group shared some information with us about grief
and also gave us a book of poems about life and what we are going through.
Since Kacie loved poetry so much, I thought I wound share this one with you because it reminded me about Natalie's comment about talking about losing someone close to you. The name of the poem is
The Elephant in the Room
There's an elephant in the room,
Its large and squatting, so its hard to get around it.
Yet we squeeze by with "How are you?" and "I'm fine".
And a thousand other forms of trivial chatter.
We talk about the weather.
We talk about work.
We talk about everything else...
Except the elephant in the room.
We all know it is there.
We are thinking about the elephant as we talk together,
It is constantly on our minds.
For, you see, it is a very big elephant.
It has hurt us all.
But we do not talk about the elephant in the room.
Oh, please say her name.
Oh, please, say "Kacie" again.
Oh, please, let's talk about the elephant in the room.
For if we talk about her death,
Perhaps we can talk about her life.
Can I say "Kacie" to you and not have you look away.
For if I cannot,
then you are leaving me alone
in a room
with an elephant.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Wow... this really does express exactly what i was talking about. Made me a little sad... but i am glad someone else understands what I mean. It really couldn't be more well said.