Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Kacie, Jerry and Frankie at Wolftrap

When Kacie was about 5 or 6, in the late eighties, we took her with us to a Frankie Valli concert at Wolftrap in Vienna, Virginia. To really give you a feel for what I experienced prior to the show, I can only refer you to the scene in The Excorist where Linda Blair vomits the green pea soup but the following incident was much more frightening than that.

It was a beautiful summer evening and we were on our way to Wolftrap. I had gotten my tickets to see Frankie several months in advance and we had front row center seats! We were about ten minutes from the pavillion and Nancy was in the front seat with Kacie in back. As a little girl, Kacie had quite a history with car sickness. Even as a little girl she had an amazing appetite and could just about eat her weight in food. We had a good dinner that night before our one hour trip. Life was great, we were only ten minutes away and car sickness was the last thing on my mind. Then without warning, Kacie leaned over my shoulder and vomited with force and mass that was unbelievable! I was drenched from my shoulders to my shoes (and in my shoes). My first impulse was to turn around and head home but we had front row center seats. When we got to Wolftrap, I somehow endured and so did the people seated around me.

Before the show began, a local dj introduced the opening act. I remember him saying "Tonight we have a brand new comedian for you, so please welcome Jerry Seinfeld". It was apparently one of his first professional appearances. Jerry walked onto the stage and looked like a skinny little boy. I've never laughed so hard. How could an unknown comedian be so funny? I remember telling Kacie and Nancy that one day that boy would be the world's greatest comedian.

Then Frankie gave one of his greatest performances. So, it was an unforgettable evening of endurance and pleasure.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

hahaha. seinfield was one of kacie's favorite television shows! She loved it.